Chittorgarh was the capital of the Sisodia clan of Mewar from the early 13th century until the Mughal Emperor Akbar’s conquest of 1567. Many battles were fought in and around this strategic bastion. The town faced three sieges, and each time, the women and children committed jauhar, or mass suicide, facing inevitable defeat. No surprise then, that Chittorgarh is richly associated with Rajput history, valour and folklore.
The Vijay Stambh or Victory Tower was built in the 15th century by Rana Kumbha to commemorate the victories against Malwa and Gujarat. Its nine storeys are covered head to toe with Hindu deities.
Even today Chittor’s fort summons up colourful images of its history and recalls the heroic deeds of Sisodia rulers Rana Kumbha and Rana Sangha.